February 1. That means January is done-zo. Weather wise, I’m pretty excited to wave that first month of the year goodbye. The kids had 8 extra days off from school thanks to the cold. We had the polar vortex thingie. Twice.
I’m also pleased because last month I joined a group/challenge/movement and I saw some incredible results.
Jon Acuff asked through his blog if anyone wanted a 30 day challenge to reach goals. I signed up and became a “hustler.” The kind that gets an email everyday with a challenge and the invitation to share on the Facebook group called 30 Days of Hustle. From naming the goal, cutting it in half, finding accountability, measuring goals, learning more from books on the goals, and much more I watched a little goal branch out into many accomplishments I didn’t even see coming.
My original goal was to sit down and talk with my husband. In December I received news that kind of surprised me, and what was even more shocking was how it stunted everything. I felt immobilized and wasn’t bouncing back. But I kept it inside, which didn’t help. So by naming that as my goal and following the challenges, it was achieved.
But there was more.
- Because of the first talk, we decided another good move would be to talk to my pastor and just share where I’m at and see if he and his wife had any additional feedback. That meeting already took place and really helped break the isolation.
- I got back on a good eating plan and exercise, even trying Zumba at home. Oh, I’m a hot mess, but it’s fun to try at home.
- I revised this site. I talked about that in detail last week.
- I added a gift to newsletter subscribers, scheduled to roll out for Valentine’s Day. It’s a story called Match Made in Heaven with installments set to release throughout the year.
- I researched podcasts. I’m considering doing this to share surrender testimonies and information I already share when I minister to others.
- I read a lot of books for reviews that already published or will until mid February. Check my right sidebar to see how many are coming up, and this page for the ones I already reviewed.
Having the Facebook group and community support definitely helped motivate me, and conquering that first goal broke open the isolation and gave me courage to keep moving forward. Although January felt endless with -30 windchills for many days, it was a good month.
Bring on February!
What helps you with goals? What keeps you motivated? Any goals for February?